Sunday, August 24, 2008

CHAPTER 30

CHAPTER 30:
The smog-filled Metro Manila skyline layout before Sen. The hills of Antipolo seem like a perfect refuge for times like these. He parked the car in an enclave that overlooked the city. He switched off the engines.

“So what do you want to talk about?” He asked. Cris sat beside him, staring up front. He knew that when Cris suggested that they drive around, he knew that it was not merely for fun. It was her way of telling him that they have a problem to iron out. It was better this way, he thought. At least we do not fight in front of Louie.

He knew there was a problem. It had been four days and Cristina has hardly talked to him. So when she asked they go for a drive, it was already a welcome respite.

“Hansen, have you ever cheated on me?” Cristina asked.

“No” Hansen replied. A sharp pain hit Cris’ heart.

“I saw something at the Picnic Grove.” Cris said. Hansen looked at Cris, the shock evident in his eyes.

“How long has this been going on?” Cris asked.

“Cris, I-“ Hansen started to explain.

“How long has this been going on?” Cris screamed. Hansen saw the anger in her eyes.

“Three weeks.” Hansen answered. Tears were now flowing from Cris’ eyes.

“Before we were married…”

“Yes, Van and I had an affair before we were married.” Hansen came clean. “I was about to break off with you, but you were pregnant.”

“You only married me because I was pregnant?” Cris exclaimed.

“It’s true.” Hansen replied. The next instant, a warm sensation hit his face. He felt the whiplash immediately as Cris’ hand found its way to his cheek.

“You animal! I thought you loved me.” Cris said, pounding her hands on sen’s shoulder. She felt this was the ultimate betrayal.

“ I could have forgiven you if you’re mistress was a woman, but a man!” The past five years were some of the best of her life, only to find out they were a lie. She wanted to push Sen down the cliff, but deep inside she still oved him.

“I did love you. I love Louie. It’s just that…”Hansen began.

“You love Van more.” Cris finished the sentence for him.

No comments: