Monday, August 18, 2008

CHAPTER 7

Van picked up the box once again and lifted its lid. He poured its contents on the table. There were a few newspaper clippings. One of his grade cards from PDA, a picture of him from one of his soaps. He smiled.

He read some of the clippings that Hansen put in the box. Some of them even date back to the time they were inside the academy. He was fixated on one blind item that did not really concern him, but rather it was about the infamous ‘patatas’- a pet name fans developed for Hansen because of his bulge.

“I see you found my secret stash.” A voice behind Van said. Startled, Van began fixing the clippings and putting them in the box.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to-“

“It’s ok” Sen assured. “It’s nice seeing you again.” Van weakly smiled. This was one of the most uncomfortable situations he was ever in. He wanted to make a dash for the door.

“Excuse me.” He said as he tried to make his way past Sen. Sen caught him by the arm.

“Why are you avoiding me?” Sen asked. Van just looked at Sen straight in the eye. God Van, control yourself, he thought. “You have been aloof to me all night long.”

“I think you know why.” Van replied calmly.

“It’s been five years Van. That’s already a long time.” Sen answered back. Van swayed his arm to let go of Sen’s hold.

“It’s still not enough!” Van exploded as if all the pain he held for five years suddenly let go. “There are still nights I cry myself to sleep. Can’t you see? I am still hurting. It took a lot of guts for me to come here, hoping that I’ve already moved on. Apparently not.”

Van made his way towards the door.

“You think you’re the only one unhappy?” Van paused in his tracks. He turned around to see tears flowing from Sen’s eyes. Outside, Apple’s voice provides entertainment for the group.

“This marriage has been hell for me!” Sen blurted out. “It may seem perfect from the outside, but it’s far from it.”

Van stood there frozen. Never had he imagined the events happening in front of him right now. Sen just took of his veneer and he was the lone witness. But nothing prepared him for what came out of Sen’s mouth next.

“It’s you that I want Van. I love you.”

No comments: